The Sentinel offers nonprofits and other community organizations the opportunity to promote upcoming events on the Community Calendar for free for three days prior to the event. Events requiring reservations can be promoted up to two weeks before the reservation deadline.
Events that require purchase from a for-profit company, even if a donation is made to the organization, are not calendar eligible.
Submit at least one article in advance via email, [email protected]; dial (717) 248-6741; online, virtual newsroom at www.lewistownsentinel.com; or by mail or drop off, The Sentinel, 352 Sixth St., PO Box 588 Lewistown, PA 17044. The publisher reserves the right to edit all submissions.
You must include a phone number for verification purposes. The phone number is not intended for publication unless otherwise stated.
• Chef’s Salad Sale — Pine Glen Brothers Church Drive-Through; Cost $10, pick up August 19 between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. leave a message if no response. Made with roast chicken and baked ham with homemade sweet and sour, Italian or ranch dressing. The last day to order is August 14.
Tuesday August 2
• Standard Steel Retiree Breakfast — 9:00 am at Sal-Lee’s Dream Restaurant.
• Coffee with friends — 9 am to noon at Lack-Tuscarora EMS, 9320 South Route 75, East Waterford.
•Dominoes — 9:00 am, Yeagertown Senior Center.
•National Night — 6 to 9 p.m. at Kish Park. Motor and Motorcycle Show; displays of fire trucks, police cars and helicopters and demonstrations of firefighters; community organizations and other exhibits; bike backpack and gifts; free hot dogs and snacks.
• Fayette Community Carnival — Host: Erica Shellenberger. More information: www.fayettecommunitycarnival.com.
Wednesday August 3
• Free Community Meal – 11:30am-1pm, Bethel AME Church, 23 N. Juniata St., Lewistown.
• Blood drive — 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., Bunkertown Brethren Church, McAlisterville. Appointments requested. For appointments and “Fast Pass” visit: www.redcross.org.
• Blood drive — 1 to 6 p.m., Christ Church, Beaver Springs. Appointments requested. For appointments and “Fast Pass” visit: www.redcross.org.
• Mission Quilts — 1 p.m., Yeagertown Senior Center. Sewing skills not necessary. Aids needed.
• Lewistown-Granville Secondary Class of 1966 Dinner — 6:00 pm at Blackjack BBQ, Burnham.
• La Fayette community carnival — Entertainment: Lucky Afternoon. Fireworks at 10 p.m. (rain date Thursday). More information: www.fayettecommunitycarnival.com.
Thursday August 4
• No. 1 Machine Shop Retired Breakfast — 8 am, The Restaurant, Fourth Street, Lewistown.
• Bingo — 1 p.m., Yeagertown Senior Center.
• Basic Computer Course — 1:00-3:00 p.m. at Careerlink, MCIDC Building 58, Lewistown. Learn how to effectively use the mouse and the most used keyboard features. Discover the Internet, file management and more.
• La Fayette community carnival — Entertainment: broken record. More information: www.fayettecommunitycarnival.com
Upcoming meetings, including missing classmate requests, are posted as part of the calendar. Brief reunion stories and photos of class reunions with those identified in order of appearance are accepted for publication in the Live section.
• 35th Anniversary of the Chief Logan Secondary Class of 1987 — 6-9 p.m. August 5 at Hungry Run Distillery, Ridens Road, and 6-9 p.m. August 6 at Bus, Logan Boulevard. Participation is free, but donations are welcome.
• Lewistown Granville High School Class of 1970 50th (+2) reunion — August 13 from 6 to 11 p.m. at the Rec Park Community Center. The entry form is available online at https://www.facebook.com/LGHS50th/ or call (717) 347-8223.
• Lynch, Pannebaker, Smith, Stewart Family Reunion – Greenwood Furnace Pavilion 3 at 1 p.m. Aug. 7.
• Mellinger Family Reunion — August 13 at Kish Park Green Pavilion. Lunch at noon. Burgers, hot dogs and bottled water provided; please bring a covered dish to share. There will be an auction and games.
• Chief Logan High School Class of 1972 50th Reunion — August 13, 5-10 p.m. at the Lewistown Country Club. Welcome classmates and guests. $18 per person. To reserve, call Tim or Patty Yearick at (717) 667-2076.
• Lewistown High School Class of 1955 65th Reunion — 1-5 pm Sunday, August 21, at Birch Hill Events in Burnham. To reserve, call Mary at (717) 248-8871.
• Descendants of Samuel and Mary Krepps — August 21 at Green Pavilion in Kish Park. Meal at 12:30 p.m.
• Lewistown Specialty Yarn meeting — Green Pavilion at Kish Park. More information: (717) 543-6093 after 10 a.m.
• Family Reunion Features — August 28 at the Green Pavilion in Kish Park. Meal at 12:30 p.m.
• Reunion of the Kishacoquillas Class of 1970 (+2) — 5-9 p.m. September 3 at Brookmere Winery, Belleville. For more information, contact Jane Garber at (717) 940-0037 or [email protected]
• 78th Annual Meeting of Edward S. and Amelia M. Wagner — noon, September 3, Kishacoquillas Park in the bumper car/yellow flag. Bring your family, a covered platter and an auction item.
• Stewart and Emma (Arnold) Wagner family reunion — Sunday, October 2 at The Annsfield, Route 35, Mifflintown. Email [email protected] for more information.
• Lewistown High School Class of 1958 64th Reunion — 1 p.m. September 17 at the Kish Park Green Pavillion. Meal at 3 p.m. Hamburgers, hot dogs and cutlery provided. Complete your reservation form and indicate the covered dish or other items you will bring to share. If you cannot attend, please submit your booking form to update your contact details. More information: Theresa Schaaf at (717) 667-2389.